Clean and easy protein, the most simple greens you will ever enjoy, and all in under 15 minutes. I know that it has been a very long time since I last posted and I will be surprised if anyone is still interested in reading about what I have been cooking up. But, for those still watching out for me – I am back and ready to post more regularly. The plus side is, I have a whole new list of items that you need to have in your recipe book. And, as usual, there is no down side.
Egg Sandwiches. So, basically the reason – well, reasonS actually – for my 15 month blackout on writing is the joy of parenting my twin sons. That is 2 baby humans at the same time. Two times everything and – oh yeah – no sleep what-so-ever for a long time. Now, what does that have to do with egg sandwiches and why are egg sandwiches so damn important?
Answers: Time and Taste.
In under 15 minutes, Egg sandwiches with a simple greens salad are on your plate and ready to enjoy. The richness of an over-easy yolk oozing through the magic of bacon, a small amount of shredded cheddar cheese, and the mysterious melted butter filled nocks and crannies of a toasted english muffin paired with tender fresh greens tossed delicately in salad oil and white balsamic vinegar combine for a perfect meal – every time. Try it. If you see me on the street afterwards – thanks or a high-five is really all I’m looking for.
Ingredients (for two):
2 english muffins
2 large cage free organic brown eggs
1/8 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1 T. salted butter
1 T. olive oil
1 1/2 handfulls of greens
1 T. white balsalmic vinegar
3/4 T. Salad oil
How to Pull It All Together:
- Rinse and spin greens and set aside clean greens in serving bowl
- Cut 3 strips of bacon in half and cook over medium high heat, set aside when crisp to your liking
- Without getting burned, wipe out skillet
- Place skillet over medium low heat
- Put muffins in toaster and cook to light toast
- Add olive oil and butter to skillet
- When butter is melted, coat bottom of pan with oil butter mix
- When muffins are ready, pull out of toaster with tongs and place cut-side down in skillet to coat with layer of butter/oil. Remove toast to plates and place three pieces of bacon on the bottom half of the muffin, face up.
- Crack eggs into skillet and season with salt and pepper
- Fold eggs over and sprikle with shredded cheese, dividing equally between eggs
- Cover skillet and remove to cool burner of stove for 3 minutes
- Remover cover and with spatula, place one egg on each muffin, over bacon, and close muffin top
- Spoon salad oil over greens, stir,
- Spoon vinegar over greens, stir – then divide salad between plates.