Making your house smell delicious is a wonderful gift for your family and friends. It can make the stresses of one’s day dissipate or take a great day and make it even better. And, one of the highlights of the winter for me that does all of these things has been learning how to make a wonderful risotto.
Credit where credits is due, this recipe is from Giada de Laurentiis. But, it has given me the confidence to offer delicious risotto to my friends and family. And, from the techniques learned here, I have built other combinations of risotto that allow me to stay seasonal and local with my ingredients, which really makes me happy.
This dish can be served as a side dish but here at our house it has become the main attraction. For those of you who think risotto is out of your reach, please just try this and then decide.
Myths busted through this recipe:
1) Risotto is impossible to make at home – nope!
2) Risotto requires too much time – nope again – about 45 minutes.
3) Risotto requires constant stirring – there’s plenty but constant is not the right way to say it.
Here are the ingredients:
5 3/4 cups of chicken broth
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups finely chopped onion
10 ounces mushrooms (mixed)
2 minced garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
2/3 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup frozen peas
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
How to put it together:
1) Bring chicken broth to a simmer in sauce pan
2) Remove broth from heat, add porcini mushrooms, cover, set aside for 5 minutes
3) Remove porcinis from broth to cutting board
4) Return broth to stove top over low heat
5) In a separate heavy saute pan melt butter using medium heat
6) Once melted, add onions and saute until tender (~8 minutes)
7) Medium chop all mushrooms
8) Add all mushrooms, and garlic to onions and saute until tender and juices evaporate (~10 minutes)
9) Stir in rice and wine
10) Stir slowly until all liquid is absorbed (~2 minutes)
11) Add a cup of broth and stir in to rice, stir on and off until all liquid is absorbed (~3 minutes)
Repeat #11 until all broth is incorporated and mixture is creamy.
12) Stir in peas, remove from heat, stir in parmesan
Serve and Enjoy